Sunday, February 1, 2015

DIY (Do It Yourself) Race Medal Holder

Hey everyone! This is a DIY I've been wanting to do for quite some time and have only recently gotten around to it. I've been browsing different medal holders I wanted to purchase and have been thinking about different designs. In the end I decided to make my own instead of purchasing one! It was way less expensive, more unique and I had a lot of fun with this project!

This is the finished project!


The materials I used were all purchased from Michael's. The back board is made of wood and was the most expensive part of making this. Normally it costs $16.99 BUT I actually used a 40% off coupon that Michael's offers online to get it down to about $9.00. I purchased a 12 pack of metal clips found in the stationary area for $3.99 as well as some black pop up plastic stickers with gems called "thickers dazzle". I also got some cork letters to write my "cute" display message. Lastly, I purchased a pack of wood block numbers, a black sharpie to color those letters in & used the hot glue gun I have at home already (great investment if you're new to DIY projects).


I took the blue and white designed card stock paper, cut it with a razor blade and put it on the smaller of the 2 boards with the glue gun. Then I glued the cork letters on with the hot glue gun as well.

After putting the gray cardstock on the larger of the two boards, I put white cardstock on the small oval pieces of wood and attached the black numbers. I wanted it to look like the bumper stickers with the miles on them that you see often. The most common public funs are 5Ks, 10Ks, 13.1 miles and 26.2 miles. I attached the metal clips as the things to hold the ribbons of the medals.


With some added touches, here it is! I did decide to add a sparkly brooch to the top to make it a little bit more girlie. :) It took me less than 2 hours and it was really fun to create! Now I don't have to settle on a typical medal holder that anyone can have!



No comments:

Post a Comment