Thursday, January 1, 2015

DIY (Do it Yourself) nightstand / dresser / storage

When we moved into our new home I was thinking I needed a nightstand/dresser type thing to put next to my bed to charge my phone on and put my nightly book on. I browsed Craigslist.com looking for a cheap option, to no avail. Then while going through my garage I found this ugly 5 tiered cheap furniture piece that I hadn't (and didn't want to) use anymore.


This was the ugly 5 tiered piece to start:




For supplies I only needed 5 printed cardstock pieces of paper (ONLY $.59 each), 6 feet of stringed pearls, 6 feet of 1 inch thick lace, a pair of scissors, a box cutter and gorilla glue. The total cost was about $15.00 at Michael's. (Check online or ASK for a coupon at checkout)




I took apart the shelving unit easily and glued the printed cardstock by placing the cardstock print down and gluing the side of the shelving unit that faces up onto the white side. That way the print would be facing up on the shelf.







Then I used the box cutter to get rid of the excess paper. I love the box cutter because it makes such a nice clean line.



This is the finished shelf with the print! I did need to cut holes for the legs that connected the shelves.




Here is the piece put together with the cardstock with the 1 inch thick lace glued to hide the brown wood still showing. I also added pearls to make it a bit more vintage/classy.





Here is the finished product! I decided to use the bottom shelf for my cell phone and bedtime book, and also solve the problem of where to put my perfume bottles! I absolutely love it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment