Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My Goodwill Addiction

"Wow I love your shirt!"
"Thanks, I got it at Goodwill!"
"Oh......."

When it comes to the ever popular thrift store Goodwill, you're either a fan of it or you're not. There's no in between. I have to say that in my past I wouldn't touch that freaking place with 5 pairs of gloves and a full-body suit. All that came to my mind when anyone mentioned it was: bedbugs, dirt, homeless people and junk. You couldn't pay me to say I was a customer and you couldn't drag me in there without a food bribe, surgical mask and a pack of disinfectant wipes.

That all changed when my girlfriend and I embarked on a stereotypical day of girl shopping. We pulled up in front of Goodwill and I thought "You've got to be joking, I'm not going in there!" She basically had to pull me in by my ear like a toddler having a tantrum. The OCD clean part of me screamed; tiles missing from the floor, light fixtures broken from the ceiling, zombie-like employees, clothing hung in disarray and OOOHH..... A BEBE DRESS!?!? The stream of disgusted thoughts was shattered by the most beautiful black bebe dress with leatherette panels on the waist, a body contouring cut and a perfectly plunging neckline. My hands grabbed at it before I could reason with the fact that a.) I didn't have gloves on and b.) I had no clue how many people's bodies it had been on. All clean instincts were gone; the brand new, tags still on bebe dress was too overpowering. My eyes caught the price tag and as I flipped it over, I gasped. $12.99. $12.99?! Thirteen dollars for a brand new dress with the tags on it that originally costs over $120.00?! I took it off of the hanger without a moments hesitation. I thought thrift stores were old musty stores filled with ancient clothing that is entirely out of style. Could I have been wrong?

I looked around me and was surprised to find that the store was no longer disgusting in my eyes. Sure, the aesthetic appeal was lacking, severely lacking in fact, but I had broken the ice and been initiated into the exclusive Goodwill treasure cult. And I wanted more. "Well, I DO need new work pants" I convinced myself swiftly as I shifted through the aisles of previously-loved clothing. I found a few pairs of black slacks, a pair of Abercrombie jeans and a few cute tank tops. That was the day that started it all.

Fast-forward a few years: My name is Karissa and I'm a Goodwill addict. I know every location of every Goodwill within 20 miles and I'd say I visit a Goodwill store (not the same one) AT LEAST twice a week. Now, before you go all Discovery Fit & Health calling the Hoarder's show, hear me out. I don't always buy something each time I go and my house is very clean and orderly. Most days I leave empty handed even though there are several items wishfully calling my name. Why do I go back so often? Because I'm such a little Goodwill addict that I know what times/days they put out new items and it's just fun to see what's there!

 The thing that kept me coming back was the name brand clothing and dirt cheap prices. It was everywhere: hidden in between grandma sweaters and tacky 90's clothes. I've found so many designer brands over the years that I've either worn, sold or given away to friends. Why buy anything at full price without looking here first? I don't know about you but I don't mind saving a buck.

Besides clothing, one of my absolute favorite sections is the random objects section in the back of the store. DIY projects are something that absorb much of my free time and Goodwill is the place to find cheap pieces to work on. All of the shelving in my home, most of the furniture, candles, trinkets and decorations were all treasures found at Goodwill that I later revamped. I can spend an hour just perusing through the objects here and thinking of ways to change them into something modern and unique. Shoes are another section I love. I can't tell you how many cute pairs of winter boots and cowboy boots I've found that were hardly worn. Active wear, also a favorite. Where else can you find SO many styles of clothing that aren't necessarily that season's fashions for barely any money? Some things that other people don't want anymore are things that I want!

Then, when the good deals weren't enough to get you in, the coupons are. I get coupons weekly. 10% off, 50% off, $1.00 day. Coupons on top of coupons 'cause we ballin' like that. You can't reject a deal upon a deal, it's sacreligious. Those pants didn't look so awesome at $9.00, but with your 50% coupon that puts them at only $4.50, you sure love them now, don't you?

So, while many people aren't a fan of thrift stores in general, especially Goodwill, I have turned from a absolute hater into a believer. And yes, while there may be some things that aren't worth anything, are dirty, ripped and downright pieces of crap, there are buried treasures if you take the time to look for them. But don't get in the way of my thrifting, I'll run you over with my cart ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment